Thursday, January 25, 2007

Nurse Duffy

Nurse Duffy's was the first face I saw when I came around after being wounded in an ambush on February 27, 1971. I was first med-evac'ed to Marine 1st Medical Battalion, DaNang, but they were swamped with casualties. After spending about six hours there, I was med-evac'ed to the Army hospital at Cam Ranh Bay. Nurse Duffy was my night charge nurse, and she took such very good care of me for the four weeks that I was hospitalized. I would never forget her smile, but I never once thought that I would ever see her pretty smile again.

I found Nurse Duffy at the Wall, Memorial Day 1997.

I had just finished getting several rubbings off the Wall, and was standing with my friend and brother Marine, Tom Williams and some other veterans at the tent of the USMC Vietnam Helicopter Pilots' Association. We were talking and reminiscing a bit, but I found my gaze kept returning to a lady standing some distance across from us. After staring at her for about ten minutes, Tom asked, "Do you know her?"

"I think I do, but I'll be right back." I answered, as I walked toward her. Tom followed.

She had turned away from me as I approached, but as I got near, I said, "Nurse Duffy?"

She turned toward me, her eyes widened and she said, "Oh, my God!"

Tom Williams asked her, "Do you know this Marine?"

She replied, "He remembers me and that is all that matters!" At that moment, I felt like I was spinning back and forth in time; I was thrilled and happy and incredulous all at once. I just couldn't believe my eyes.

She added, "There were just too many of you guys. I wish that I could remember every face. One thing I do remember is that you Marines hardly ever complained."

She began to shake so much that Tom and I both had to support her. It was a tearful and emotional reunion. I was moved beyond what I can tell you here. I can only say that it was one of the most moving experiences I have ever had in my life. I was so happy to see her.

We posed for the obligatory photos, and I told her about my Website. She said she wasn't on the 'Net. Maybe one day she will be, and I hope she finds this page, because I'd like to thank her once more for being such a good nurse to one wounded and homesick Marine.

God bless Nurse Duffy and all the nurses who served in Vietnam.